airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Had a service tech here to check on my 3 1/2 ton Trane air

Customer Question

Had a service tech here to check on my 3 1/2 ton Trane air conditioner. The main level that the 3 1/2 ton services was not shutting down and the air didn't seem that cold. He filled it and while standing beside him the conditioner shut down then tried to start a few times but would quickly shut down. He said he left a valve closed (?) (I believe that's what he said) and then said it was shutting down because he overfilled the unit. He let some out and then the pressure on one of the valves kept going up and down and his diagnosis was the feeder valve was bad and would be back in the morning with a new one. Did the overfilling have anything to do with the feeder valve now not working? He thought he put in about 2 1/2 gallons of refrigerant all total so if in fact it was low it seems like he couldn't have overfilled it to bad but with the unit shutting down like it did I was worried that it did some damage. What should I say and what can happen with overfilling the compressor?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Overfilling should not cause damage to the metering device.It is likely that the metering device was causing his pressures to make him think it was low.Once he replaces the metering device if that is what was causing the issue , and then properly charges system you should be fine. I would ask him to recover the refrigerant, replace the valve and then weigh in proper charge.