Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Rheem model prog50-42-rh67 its giving me a 7 blink

Customer Question

Hi I have a Rheem model prog50-42-rh67 its giving me a 7 blink with 3 second pause which is saying my flammable vapor sensor is lockout how do I reset it. Its not even a year old
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any vapors in the area of the heater flammable or otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

OK, assuming the sensor is ok the reset procedure is as follows:

Turn the power off/unplug the heater then turn the temp dial all the way down. Wait a minute then power it back up. If it doesn't reboot then turn the dial all the way up and all the way down 7 times within 30 seconds. If this doesn't reset it then you either have a bad sensor or gas control. If that is the case then this should be a warranty issue and you'll need to call Rheem in the morning. Call the number that's in your manual. If you do call them don't mention you tried this reset procedure since this knowledge is only supposed to be available to service techs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I tried the unplug for 5 seconds and replug and turn temp switch from hot to low 6 times within 30 seconds with no success but I'll try your way wish me luck
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Good luck, this is right out of the Rheem service bulletin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
being that this is my investment property I will than call you once I get there is that okay or do you prefer online instead I won't have access to being online but can text you. Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I can only communicate with you through this interface. Since this isn't your house how do you know for sure vapors (flammable or otherwise) aren't the issue. If they are indeed the issue then you have to air out the place completely. If you have a multi meter you can check the resistance across the sensor If it doesn't fall between 9k ohms and 45k ohms then it's no good. Sensor is connected to the 2 white leads off the bottom of the gas control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was there and smell for vapors and aired out with door open and window. Plus its been two days of open window now and I just got back to get on computer and plan on heading back
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you have an ohm meter that would confirm if the sensor is good or not. Without testing the sensor you won't know the cause if it doesn't reset.