HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Ihave an rm2553. works fine on 120v. LP cools but not

Customer Question

Ihave an rm2553. works fine on 120v. LP cools but not adequate. I have cleaned burner, jet and comes on fine, pilot nice blue. 17 years old...is it time to replace the whole reefer??
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!

If it is working good on 120 volts it should work fine on LP. Most often failure to cool on gas is attributed to soot buildup in the flue. There is a "twisted metal insert" in the flue that causes better heat transfer. Sadly, the insert also allows soot to build up and restrict flow. Often it can be cleared using an air compressor to blow upward above where the flame would be. Failing that, the flue can be cleared from above with a small brush on a long rod. Try that and see what happens!

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've blown it out with a compressor from below not from the top (chimney sweep style) but a banged a bit and some but not much fell out
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK, then have a look at the gas jet and the burner... they should be directly in line with each other. If not, they should be. Look for hairline cracks in the galvanized steel box that holds the burner, especially in the corners and around the screws. If that is fine you may want to try to add a cooling fan to the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can cracks in the galv box, effect the heating? I the burner and flue are lined up, they cant really be otherwise. Are yougiving me generic advise? Or do you have specific knowledge of the Dometic 2553?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

On the old units they can develop cracks in the box..l.then the heat will escape not efficiently going to the exchanger. I will opt out as you seem to think I do not know what I am doing..thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I'm asking cause the galv box is not tight anyway and the front cover doesnt fit tight...I'm trying to understand...a bit sensitive ther buddy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry you arent interested in a dialogue...