Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Just checed. Got Ice at XL80evaporator coil. What to do?

Customer Question

Hi:
Just checed.
Got Ice at XL80evaporator coil.
What to do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

The first thing to do is turn the cooling off and set the thermostat fan switch to ON! Let's get that ice gone! You may have a solidly iced coil and it could take as long as a couple hours or more to thaw completely. Thawing completely is really important since if there's even a little ice left on the coil, it can ice right back up even if we fix what's causing the icing.

Then you need to make sure your air filter is changed! If it is really dirty and plugged, this may have been the sole cause. You also need to check and confirm that the blower motor itself is running when it should be. If not, let me know and we can try to diagnose why.

If the blower works, you replaced the air filter and the coil is completely thawed, you can turn the cooling back on and see how it goes!

The other reasons a coil will ice up:

A non-running blower motor (several reasons that could happen)

A very dirty a-coil.

A stuck compressor contactor causing the outdoor unit to run when it shouldn't be.

The system is a little low on refrigerant.

The ductwork is crushed.

Trying to cool the space much below 70.

Outdoor unit running a lot while it's constantly raining on the coil.

Those are the most common reasons for this. Let me know what you find and we can go from here to try to figure out why it iced in the first place.

Please reply if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively (3 stars or better) before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK.
I did switch termostat at ON, right now, waiting at ice going down.
I changed air filter with new one.
blower motor works.not surre about commpressor contactors.
must check tomorow morning.

Very good then. Just remember, just because you don't see ice, doesn't mean it's not still hidden in the recesses of the evaporator coil! Make sure it's thawed good before you turn the cooling back on! I'll be around tomorrow as well, probably sometime around noon. I'll check in and see how it's going! It's good that your indoor motor is running!

Have a good night and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Brian