Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Laars Mascot LX Combi boiler 125,000 btu model. No

Customer Question

I have a Laars Mascot LX Combi boiler 125,000 btu model . No DHW , the screen on the unit reads notification code " n05 DHW sensor not present in combi boiler. HW will be blocked ". This is a newly installed unit. The DHW has been working great up to now.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

I will stay with you on an unlimited time bases.

What works best in my view is straight talk.

I have had some experience with Laars... improvements can always happen, however I have seen gang connector with a dozen or more pin connectors that fall out of their sockets... because the pins were way too short... then the company not being direct with me about the problem.

Lets start by seeing what the installer intends to do about this and what Laars offers... rather than sticking you with sorting out what *their problem might be.. Tell me what Laars and its dealer intend to do about this, and what they have told you so far.

We can go from there most efficiently.

The root of most of these problems is that US manufacturers buy most of their printed circuit boards and components from China, and the Chinese manufactures offers components in any price range, from world class quality... to low end, low quality with very high failure rates... it is not uncommon for a US manufacturer to buy the low end.

That sticks the buyer with a problem... it is the buyer who might consider sticking it to the manufacturer instead of the reverse.. I find that works reasonably well due a manufactures concern about what you might post to social media.

Much of today's consumer products end up being a 10 or 12 year problem with the system requiring several $500 type repairs in the units life span, and the manufacturer selling you $200 to $400 parts that they bought from China for $20.....

The manufacturer can three times as much selling you parts over the short life span of the boiler than they did selling you the boiler in the first place.

My view on this situation is held by virtually all experience field service people (but not of course by the manufacturers help desk folks, who will assure you that you are the very first person that ever had such a problem, and that their equipment lasts forever, etc.)

Tell me what the dealer says, and a lot about your technical background and what instruments you have so that I can coach you most efficiently. we can go from there without a time limit.

You should read the warranty fine print most of these companies will void their warranty if you attempt any repairs yourself.

We can go from there.