Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I'm making a split AC from two LG LW5012e window ACs popup

Customer Question

I'm making a split AC from two LG LW5012e window ACs for my popup camper. The plan is to mount the mount the evaporator, evaporator fan, compressor, and the capillary with the front grill and controls along with a shortened sheet metal housing inside the camper on a shortened chassis pan. The double-shafted fan motor will have the aft shaft cut off that normally runs the condenser fan.
The condenser and second fan motor for the condenser fan will be mounted on another shortened chassis and shortened sheet metal housing on the outer wall of the camper. Flexible hoses will connect the two modules, one from the outlet side of the condenser to the capillary and the second hose from the compressor outlet to the condenser.
Questions:
1. Please comment on the viability of this approach.
2. With a second fan motor, will I need a second starting capacitor as well? There is a separate capacitor for the compressor and for the fan motor now.
3. The copper refrigerant lines appear to be brazed rather than silver soldered. Is it possible to silver solder these rather than brazing?
I have a pdf copy of the service manual if that would be helpful and if there is a mechanism to send it to you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

Sounds like an interesting project! While it is certainly possible I have to wonder why? You didn't mention why you want to split them up. As long as you use both the original base pans you should be fine. As to your second question, since you will have two motors, yes, you will need two motor capacitors. You can power the condenser motor from the same wires that come out to power the compressor but the capacitor will need to be inserted in the circuit there. I don't understand what you mean by: "Flexible hoses will connect the two modules, one from the outlet side of the condenser to the capillary and the second hose from the compressor outlet to the condenser." What kind of flexible hose are you referring to? There is only one type of flexible hose rated for refrigerant duty and they're actually vibration eliminators as opposed to flexible hoses and they are typically only about a foot long. I can't imagine a reason you couldn't just use soft refrigeration duty copper. I'm sure the lines are actually silver soldered they probably just have a different alloy than you're used to seeing. Silver solder is the preferred method for sure! You're going to have to adjust for the refrigerant charge (of course after the system is evacuated properly)! It's not going to be easy to ensure a correct refrigerant charge since you can't weigh it in anymore with the longer lines. Since it is a cap tube system, you will have to charge to superheat based on the temperature conditions at hand. You can use the 'Add Files' button to attach a pdf here.

Please reply if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively (3 stars or better) before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian