airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have Payne furnace and its flashing code 31

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The 31 error code is going to be a pressure switch error. Does the small vent motor come on when you call for heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens when I turn up heat. If I switch power off and on again it will run for about a minute and stops
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

When you say it runs about a minute. Can you tell what is running? Does vent motor come on? Do burners light Does main blower run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took top panel off of furnace and it seems like main blower runs.I can feel cool air at register. Also I think there is a black wheel behind the vent motor and it isn't turning I can spin by hand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any flame either
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK on call for heat the first thing that has to happen is that small vent motor (wheel) has to come on and pull a vacuum on pressure switch to close it.If it does not come on, the switch does not close and main blower comes on and sends the 31 error code letting us know presssure switch did not close. Do yu have a volt meter to see if the small vent motor is getting voltage on call for heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , This is a fairly new furnace I just bought this house the house was renovated and the furnace was put in before I bought it. I guess I'll probably have to get a service person in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nights have been getting colder here for about 2 weeks it ran fine until I woke up this morning and noticed it a bit cool in the house
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

It is possible even though new that either the inducer vent motor is bad or board is not sending signal to inducer. WE would need a meter to determine if so.My recommendation is to call installing contractor as they should fix at no charge if installed within last year.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My guess is that motor is okay. It's ran fine for the short time it's been on. I'll call a technician . Thx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Either way I'm going to need a technician anyway I don't have access to either a motor or board. I thought that maybe it's something that I could fix but sounds like not
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

THanks for letting me work with you. Often we do find something simple like a rollout needing reset or something ,but often requires detailed troubleshooting.