HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My relief valve is leaking in a peerless oil burner furnace,

Customer Question

my relief valve is leaking in a peerless oil burner furnace, pressure is above the rating
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this service, please be patient as it takes time for me to type, add links and research your issue. I will get back to you as soon as I can thanks!

What pressure are you seeing on the gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
over thirty
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok is your aquastat turning the unit off at the correct temp..do you know how to look at that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK then shut the feed line off to the coil does the pressure still continue to rise or stop and not blow off the relief?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pressure continues to build so the relief keeps on dripping
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK with the coil water feed off the pressure is still rising? If so the aquastat is bad. Nothing else would cause this issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please use the star rating link on your page to rate my service. This will allow you to get directly back to me for FREE followup questions anytime and tips are greatly appreciated thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a tankless system with heating coil? not possible it is leaking internally or why would Aquastat cause it if it starts and stops normally with temperature settings as designed
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I did not have the model unit, if the pressure continues to rise it must be heating as it can not just rise on its own can you set the Aquastat down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is peerless wbv05 yes I have it on but no feed for domestic that goes to coil except residual in pipe. No difference weather closed or open the drip continues same size
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK so the pressure continues to rise without it heating and with the feed shut off right?