Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Im trying to wire a heat pump condenser(TZPL-330-2A), to the

Customer Question

Im trying to wire a heat pump condenser(TZPL-330-2A), to the eletric airhandler(TZHSL3017JA, to the hp tstat 5 wire..UNSUCCESSFUL! Thanks
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If you can take a photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the blower service panel on the air handler, well focused, from straight on, close up, and well lit, and a photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the controls panel on the outside unit.

and, the brand and model number of the thermostat. I will mark them up with installation instructions.

Use the paper clip icon at the top right tool bar for that.

We can go from there.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theres no paper clip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tstat model nmbr...RTH3100C1002
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was it received and should i take another pic
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

http://screencast.com/t/SvUK1omO

Its a little too fuzzy to read the wire terminal numbers...

http://screencast.com/t/uQ71qbuSrl

Don't forget the brand and model number of the new thermostat.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RTH3100C1002
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

http://screencast.com/t/wO7D3xr36z

Use your volt meter to tell me if you get 24 voltsAC between R and C or not where the wires connect to the terminal strip.

I still need the thermostat brand and model number and need to know if the unit that is sitting outside is cooling only or a 'heat pump' it will say so no the name plate if its a 'heat pump'

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** have 24 volts between R and C, thats good, but without the thermostat brand and model number I cannot tell you now to wire it... there are dozens on the market, many are wired differently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The name is Honeywell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive sent the model nmbr 3x
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** largest and oldest thermostat manufacturer in the world, they make a hundred models or more... all type, some with only two wire connections, some with 8 or 10 wire connections, some will work with heat pumps. some will not.

The model number will be at least 10 to 12 digits long, stamped on the back side of the thermostat after you remove it from its sub base.

Don't forget the wiring diagram glued inside the plate that covers the controls compartment on the outside unit.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RTH3100C1002
I
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-1891ES.pdf

thats the manual, I am posting it here for future reference.

http://screencast.com/t/GZrdPdP83u8

I need the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the cover over the controls box, inside the unit that sits outside to get you the rest of the wiring.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please opt out. I would like to work with another Expert. Thank you.
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

If you can confirm a few things for me, I can get you a wiring scheme momentarily.

1) At the air handler do you have 5 factory low voltage wires: Red, Brown, Green/Black, White/Black and Blue/Black?

2) At the outdoor unit do also have 5 factory low voltage wires: Yellow, Blue, Purple, Red and Brown?

3) Can I correctly assume from what you've said so far that you have 5 wire thermostat cable between the thermostat and air handler and 5 wire thermostat cable between the air handler and outdoor unit? And, those 5 colors are Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and White?

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no white.
Its B,Y,G,R,E,O, aux...
Not in that order

I wasn't referring at all to the thermostat, I have the manual for that and both your air handler and outdoor unit. I was just asking about the wire colors themselves in the cables between thermostat and air handler and between the air handler and outdoor unit? Just to confirm what you said earlier, they are both 5 wire cables with Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and White wires in them? And the factory wires are the same as I outlined above in my questions 1 and 2?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, awesome! This will take me just a bit to type but bear with me and my next reply will have your wiring scheme! Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry this process has taken so long for you!

-Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome.
Thank you so very much.

Since you only have 5 wire thermostat wire we will have to improvise from the standard wire color code but if you wire it EXACTLY as I state below it will work perfectly! Below at the air handler connections, when I say outdoor unit red, white, green etc... I mean the actual thermostat cable wires themselves in the cable itself at the air handler going to the outdoor unit, not the actual factory wires at the outdoor unit. Please ask if you don't understand any part of this wiring scheme! It can be a little confusing since we only have 5 wires to connect with!

At the thermostat location wire:

Red to R

Yellow to Y

Blue to B

Green to G

White to E and use a small piece of wire to jumper over to Aux.

At the outdoor unit location wire:

Red to factory Red

Blue to factory Blue

Yellow to factory Yellow

White to factory purple

Green to factory Brown

Now for the tricky part. At the air handler wire:

*Thermostat Red to Outdoor unit Red to Factory Red (all three together)

*Thermostat White to Outdoor unit White to Factory White/Black and Factory White/Blue (all four together)

*Thermostat Green to Factory Black/Green

*Outdoor unit Green to Factory Brown

*Thermostat Blue to Outdoor unit Blue (no factory connection in air handler)

Thermostat Yellow to Outdoor unit Yellow (no factory connection in air handler)

***Pay special attention to the green field thermostat wires at the air handler. They both connect to different wires at the air handler and NOT to each other!

This wiring scheme should work like a champ in both cool, heat and emergency heat. It will also turn on the aux heat when the outdoor unit goes into defrost like it's supposed to!

Phewww that was a LOT of typing! :P

Please reply if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively (3 stars or better) before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so so much, Brian.
I know who to ask for next time.

Thanks much for the compliment! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with! Thanks for using Just Answer! Have a great night and a great day tomorrow!

P.S. unfortunately I will be away from the brick (laptop) tomorrow for most of the day but will check in late in the day for any missed replies. Thx

Hello again,

I'm just checking in to see how the wiring went and if you got your system up and running ok?

Thanks,

Brian