HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My unit is leaking water from the front where the air blows

Customer Question

my unit is leaking water from the front where the air blows out
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Most likely drain has gotten stopped up. I would start by removing and cleaning drain and drain pan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already checked drain is clear
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you see the coils to see if they are clean?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If fins on coil get dirty, sometimes water will not run down the fins into pan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I can see the fins are clean got can of compressed air in can should be safe snuff not hurt fins
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to get to the drain pan itself? (This my require some parts removal).? If so I would start by using some spray self flushing coil cleaner on the coils and vacuuming then rinsing pan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taking off wall now the pc shit started leaking water on the floor again
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The water should be running smoothly down the evaporator fins into the pan and then out the drain. Sometimes sludge will build up in the pan and partially block drain.Then water will overflow and the turbulence can even draw the water out of pan and cause it to blow out front. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok give me about 10 mins got to get a ladder to set pc on while I take the back off
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Take your tim,e

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like to me the water is dropping right down on the blower fins
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach a photo? And are the fins good and clean so that water can run down them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What # ***** u like me to send pic to and of what
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You should see a paper clip icon on this page for attaching the file. Photo of the coil and water dripping

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u get the pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent pic of fan and drain pan
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Got the pics. Both look clean from all I can tell. Not sure what else may be preventing water from running down into pan and out drain.I will open this to other experts to see if they have any ideas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pic of fan
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am a different tech can you take a picture further back so I can see the whole thing and if you can have someone take the picture and point to the leak..I am trying to picture this whole thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have took it apart as much as I can with out take the lines lose
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

So it is like the water is getting blown off the fins and off the trim right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the drain is clear put my mouth on hose and blowed thru it there's to much water for it to to drain it looks like to me it worked fine all summer
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok can you remove the drain line from the unit and see if the water drains out the drain hole and not the front?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here pic of the second one in the bedroom Klimaire 12000 btu. 15 seer dc conditioner
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

ok and it is leaking out the front corner correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the left corner then all the way across
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Could the unit be tipped and are all the seals good for the cover that goes over the evaporator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't been touched scence I installed it 5 months ago the other tech hade take the cover off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have just alike the one in bedroom working fine
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK did the issue start after the cover was removed? If so I believe the cover is not sealing correctly this will allow air to be blown around the are of the cover where the seal is not good and water will become an issue. Check the cover and seal very carefully I am 99% sure this is the issue here.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service with the star rating link before you leave as this will allow you to get directly back to me for FREE followup questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs about 30 mins starts leaking water had off all night turn on this morning 25 30 mins leaking water in floor It been leaking for 3 days nobody touch the cover been working fine for five months
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like water is either backing up in the unit...can you remove the cover right after it starts to leak to see if any water is pooled in the drain pan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U can't see the pan if u put the covers back to run the cover screws hold the fan in place
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes but when it starts to leak can you remove the covers and see if you can see water pooled or backed up in the pan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well if it wasn't it would be draining out the drain thanks I'll wait for the dealer to call me
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK no problem if you can please let me know what resolves your issue if you do not mind coming back to let me know. Thanks for trying this service and I hope next time we can get your issue resolved!