HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I'm trying to replace a ta2000 thermostat with a Honeywell

Customer Question

Hello! I'm trying to replace a ta2000 thermostat with a Honeywell rthl3550. The ta2000 has L,B,W2,O,R,Y,G,E,W3. The wires connected to them were as follow. Blue wire to b, white wire to w2 (with a jumper wire to E) Brown wire to x, red wire to r, yellow wire to y, green wire to g, and the jumper wire back to w2 on e.
On the Honeywell for heat pump, it is L, aux/e, G, O/B, NOT USED, Y, R, RC
In the new Honeywell I have the white wire to the aux/e, the green wire to g, the blue wire to o/b, the yellow wire to y, and the red wire to the r.
The r and rc have a factory jumper. I left the x wire off because I don't know where it goes.
When I first turned it to cool, it flashed "cool on" on for about 5 minutes then the heat pump and air handler came on at the same time. The heat pump cut off after a few minutes and the air handler kept blowing.
I then turned it on heat, and it did the same thing it waited a few minutes then came on then the heat pump turned off and it came up auxiliary heat on the display and I could smell it was heating up.
In the advanced installation guide on function number 2 I have it set up as cooling changeover valve with the option number 0.
Do I have this wired up wrong? Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer.
I have some pictures but I don't know how to get them on here I will try and see what it does.
content://media/external/file/20719
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this service, please be patient as it takes time for me to type, add links and research your issue. I will get back to you as soon as I can thanks!

You had a separate O and B on the old one correct..also the Brown X is the C wire...and do you have the settings correct in the setup for your type of system?