Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I just purchased a home that has a gh velocity system. The

Customer Question

I just purchased a home that has a high velocity system. The system was updated in 2009 and is in good working order, however, the registers in the rooms are from 1966 and I would like to remove them to at least clean them or replace them. Unfortunately that does not appear to be easy. There must be some trick to removing them as they are "thermostatic" controlled "Jet-Heet" registers. Any suggestions or documentation on how to remove them would be helpful.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the image of the register you will see the dial. The dial is attached to a spring that places tension on a diaphragm that controls the flow of air into the room through the register. That dial prevents the removal of the faceplate as it does not allow the cover to come off.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Remove the 6 screws around the entire frame of the unit, that will give you better access to the jet nozzle area. The high velocity hose should come off when you loosen the clamp. Let me know what you discover, we can go from there.

These were on the market about 50 years ago, and never caught on, very few if any of us have even seen one of those systems... we will have to play it by ear.

.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Please hold your rating until we get an answer and the problem is solved.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have gotten that far, however, the rest of the internal mechanism appears fixed, no screws or adjustments to release the front nob to allow the removal of the metal register. See attached pictures for greater detail. BTW the register is pulled as far away from the wall as possible with the nob still attached in these photos.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

It is most likely that the entire unit pulls out of the wall... that would be because in order to be installed it had to be put into the wall, and only after the 2" high velocity air supply hose was attached with suitable slack, so that the box could be pushed back into the wall.

That is my best guess...I have been in the business for 51 years, but not worked on one of those, that is my view on how the system would have been put together however.

Its up to you, but I would suggest prying around unit and between the wall with a wide flat chizzle,, a little bit on each side of the unit... if it gives, then it is most likely stuck in wall, and some persistence should get it out....there is some risk of course, but that is my best estimate of the situation.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, thought of that as well, but the frame of the metal encloser is screwed to the studs. My thought was there was some sort of release mechanisim for the nob OR that there was a release for the hose attachment. Though it does not show it very well in the pictures I sent, the hose enters the base of the encloser where a flange that sort of looks like an old floor vacuum head mounted upside down, is attached. The nob controls the tension on a metal diaphragm that makes up the upper two thirds of the opening, curving outward at the top such that if viewed from the side it would look like an upside down comma (,). I agree with your assessment that there must be a way to remove as it was placed in after construction so it should come out. I was hoping that anyone who may have been in the business back in the 1960s may have worked on these, or been trained with them, and have insight to how they were installed and be able to be removed. I have found a long article in both Popular Science and Life magazine about the Jet-Heet system. Read the biography of the inventor, the history of the company, which by the way makes commercial ice storage since 1971 after a fire destroyed their factory. I have found the patents filed by the company for the registers, unfortunately the drawings are demonstrative and not what they actually produced as a product. I found two adds and a contest in local newspapers in the midwest advertising the system, including mentioning the state of art registers even write in contest where the top prize was having a Jet-Heet system installed in your home. Unfortunately no owners manuals or installation manuals for the system.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I've been in the business since 1962... There have been a range of different manufacturers some still in business. The market saturation would be something like one system in 10,000 or 100,000.

Knobs of that sort commonly just press onto a shaft with a flat on one side... you might try prying it off.

At this point, your guess about how that comes out would be better than mine. I will opt out and we can see if anyone else here has seen one of those systems...thats very long odds though.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

There might be detents that you can push in with a knife on each side of the unit to release spring clips that might be holding the box in place... it may have been a snap in arrangement. Lay the knife flat against the wall and feel with the tip of the blade for it, probably as close to middle of the side of the box as possible since we know there are none on the top half.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that did not pan out. However, in frustration I really yanked on the nob mechanism to look for a release of some sort to the point of not being able to put the metal enclosure back correctly, I also think I may have damaged the spring, sort what happens to an over stretched slinky toy. In any event the nob turned well beyond its 180 degrees and I found what I thought was a rivet but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass found that it was an h1.5 hex nut holding the chrome piece on the core. I used my iFixit toolkit and was able to remove the outer chrome piece that then allowed the register to come off easily. My next step will be to clean up the box, remove the diaphragm piece and failing insulation. I will leave the vacuum like flange on the hose as it does spread the air out as it passes through but then ultimately replace the cover with a TruAire Model # ***** 12X12 4 Way Wall/Ceiling Register, which does fit the opening perfectly. Thanks for your suggestions. Although not correct left me with enough frustration and will that that the answer revealed itself. Who says anger has no positive value? :)I have about 10 more units to go, but now it is much easier.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Good work!