canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  I have extensive experience working on various remodeling projects such as remodeling bathrooms and kitchens.
64367226

I have a Tankless water heater model# PTG-74PVN-2. Serial #

Customer Question

I have a Tankless water heater model# ***** Serial # ***** I am getting the c2 /11 error code. the gas is fully open. My dryer and stove work fine. The power supply is grounded. What else can i do to check before i have to call in a service tech?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is this a new installation or existing? How old is the water heater? Do you hear any clicking when it is supposed to ignite?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike. It has been there since i moved to the house over six years ago. It ignites then it goes to the error code. When i wake up in the morning it doesn't happen. but if anyone take a shower after me it goes to error code cs -11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i called Rheem service years ago they said it was made in 2007.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i do hear a clicking when it is trying to ignite before the error code.

When you hear the clicking and look in the viewing window, do you see a spark? If you do then it is almost certainly the flame rod. It will need to be removed and cleaned. The flame rod senses the flame and when the flame is sensed then fires the burner. Remove the flame rod and clean it with some steel wool until shiny. Be sure to not touch the rod with your bare hands. The oil in hands will get on it and it will fail very soon after that so wear gloves.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey mike. I have looked all over the tank and in the manual. We're is the window to see light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clean the flame rods once a year and run vinegear through the element as per the preventative maintenance. This is a different error code.

The error code indicates a flame failure. This can be caused by a few things. You usually remove the flame rod and clean it? If there is not a window to look in then you will have to remove the cover and look for a spark.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?