Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Just the out side unit

Customer Question

Just the out side unit
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

You want to shut power off to outdoor unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you shout off unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do what after the power is off
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Why do you want to shut power off can I ask?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said cut the power off to the outside unit/ that was u telling me to turn off the power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To outdoor unit you said that
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have been working with someone else. Can you restate the original issue and I'll try to help you here. I have no information other than the model number. What's the unit doing? Not doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outdoor unit fan won't turn off it's been running all night even when I turn the unit off at one The thermostat said temporary hold what that mean I don't know
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Is it cooling the house, bringing it down to setpoint?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 August 2015 04:43
Tim H. Tim H.
HVAC Technician
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.You want to shut power off to outdoor unit? This was your First respond to me
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

No, you misunderstood. I was asking you if you wanted to shut power off to outdoor unit?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

In your original question, all you said was "shut power off to outdoor unit". So I assumed you wanted to do that. I had no description of the problem, now I do: you say it runs constantly.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If the unit runs constantly, this can be a bad thermostat, a stuck contactor, or low on charge. Is it cooling the house OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan is running constantly the temperature right now in my house is 83° and I have the setpoint on 63 doesn't seem to be going down but I'm feeling the air coming out of the vent in feel somewhat cool I guess I have to give it a few minutes to see if the temperature drops
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

So when you say it "runs constantly" is it just the indoor blower that runs constantly, or both indoor fan and outside unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just outside playing on the air-conditioning unit
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

So only indoor fan runs constantly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outside fan on unit air conditioner Will not turn off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan on the outside unit will not cut off just constantly run when I turn the unit off inside the fun on the outside stills runs
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

With your thermostat set at 63 deg and 83 in the house, the unit has probably lost charge. Not unusual with a 24 year old unit.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Unless it's a small leak, probably not worth repairing on this old a unit. To make matters worse, you may have a defective thermostat.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

There is a part inside the outdoor unit called a contactor that might be sticking to compound things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it help to get it recharged the air coming out is somewhat cool th
temperature is not dropping
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as I said if leak is not too bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this contactor is it a button that you push or is it something that may need to be replaced
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

It is a part that needs replacement. May look similar to this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there was a leak would you see frost on any of the coils on the Outside or would you see the leak
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Not if it was really low, no, you wouldn't see signs of icing or frost

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.