airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My gas furnace is approx.14 years.I turned the temperture up

Customer Question

my gas furnace is approx.14 years.I turned the temperture up but the furnace doesn't come on .I think the pilot light has gone out .I think it is an electric reset but am not positive.I put the lever to "set" but nothing happened.The lever has 4 settings:off,on,pilot,set.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, go to page 12 at this slink for the lighting instructions.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a follow-up to my question of yesterday.I went to bed without getting the pilot light on .Your answer was not satisfactory.You told me to refer to page 12 of the manual .however on page 11 it showed the Robertson valve which is the one i have in my gas furnace..The one on page 12 is not the one on my furnace
If i apply the directions of page 12 ,ie,restarting a pilot light,it doesn't seem to work.for example,if i use one hand to hold the lever up to the set location and i need another hand to hold the door which is spring activated and will shut close if released,then i'll need a 3rd hand to lite the match and put it through the door where the pilot lite is?I think something is missing?Remember the valve in my furnace is the one on page11,ie,the Robertshaw .I was not satisfied with your service last nite,but i got tired and went to bed .Hopefully ,we'll do better today.sincerely,robert acct.#88892055
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.These furnaces can be a bit tricky with that spring loaded door.You are correct about the 3 hands.If you have someone else who can hold the door open would help. If not you will have to figure a way to hold the door open.But you will push in and slide the lever to SET and keep it held until we get pilot lit.Then continue holding for a minute to heat up thermocouple before sliding to PILOT. If it stays lit, then move it to ON .Let me know if it lights and we will go from here.