Ask EcoMech Geothermal & Mechanical Y...
EcoMech Geothermal & Mechanical
EcoMech Geothermal & Mechanical, Mechanical Project Manager / Owner
Experience:  15yrs exp., GA State Licensed, IGSHPA member, ASHRAE memeber, Universal Refrigeration License
29377172

I have a York heat pump R-410A AFFINITY SERIES BHX 5 TON and

Customer Question

I have a York heat pump R-410A AFFINITY SERIES BHX 5 TON and a Honeywell RTH6350 thermostat. The indoor fan motor will not go into high CFM mode. I can switch the configuration on the thermostat to be a multiple stage and the fan will go to high CFM but the unit goes into heat mode rather than cool.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  EcoMech Geothermal & Mechanical replied 1 year ago.

Hey I can try to help you but I need a few more details. Is your heatpump a 2 stage compressor unit? Do you have any zoning? Did this problem just start or has it been ongoing? Did you just install the system? Please verify this for me. R = Red wire, C = Blue Wire, G = Green Wire, Y1 = Yellow Wire, Y2 (if you have 2 stage) = Brown Wire, O = Orange wire. Please ensure these wires are connected to the following terminals in both your thermostat and your air handler. Also on the thermostat make sure you are using the "heatpump" connections (some thermostats have heatpump or furnace connections). Get back with me after that and lets make sure you have the thermostat set up properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a single stage with no zoning. This problem has been ongoing. It is only an issue when the temp gets above 105 deg. R = Red, there is no connection on C at the heat pump, G=Brown at the heat pump, Y1=yellow, no Y2, O = Orange. Pictures attached.

Ok. so I see you have white, blue and black connected at the air handler but not at the thermostat. Does this unit have auxillary electric heat strips? If you are sure it is single stage you can disconnect the blue and black wires from the air handler.

After you answer those questions please snap the thermostat back on the wall and open this link https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2416ES.pdf then go to page 13 to start the setup process.

Im heading out to dinner with the wife. However if you want to proceed further it appears your Aux = w1 = white wire is not hooked up. This is your auxillary electric heat strips. If you have these and you want to use them you will need to hook up that white wire and select 5 on page 14. If you do not hook up the white wire select 1 on page 14. Also make sure page 15 is set to 0 for your reversing valve. We can continue this when I get back. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no heat strips and it's a single stage. Reversing Valve is set to 0 and System is a 1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a good dinner.

I haven't left yet. So this is how it was prior to your request for help? Are you sure the blower motor is supposed to modulate its speed. Without a Y2 call for cooling or heating the blower wouldn't know to ramp up in speed. If it is an ECM blower motor it would need something such as a y2 call to ramp up its fan speed. You could emulate this by replacing your thermostat with a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 3ht/2cl heat pump thermostat. If you have a variable speed air handler but single stage compressor with a single stage thermostat I don't know how the blower would know to speed up unless there is an internal blower control component that would ramp it up and down but even then it wouldn't have any way of determining why it should ramp up and down (it needs to receive that info from a thermostat)

If your blower motor is an x13 motor you can manually adjust your fan speed higher by moving some wires around that power the blower motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. The system worked with two fan speeds when it was first installed. This was in the summer when the old one went out. When it came time to switch to heating, it wouldn't heat. The technician came back and said there was a circuit card miswire that he fixed. The heat worked fine after that but come summer, the high speed mode didn't work anymore. I have attached the Technical Guide which says it's a variable motor and that it can be set to a second speed for cooling. You're right though, it must be controlled by the thermostat. I've attached a couple documents that imply that the heat pump is a 2 stage cooling and 1 stage heating (in the brochure). The Technicial guide says it's a Scroll 2-spd compressor. So the question is, when I set the thermostat to option 8 on P.14 (Heat/Cool 1 heat stage and 2 cool stages) it blows hot air instead of cold air?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also originally had the black wire attached to Y1. Attached photo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it's Y2 or E.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what an x13 moter is or if I have one. I don't what that has to do with why
when I set the thermostat to option 8 on P.14 (Heat/Cool 1 heat stage and 2 cool stages) it blows hot air instead of cold air?