Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Keeprite rooftop pgx448100 and fan won't come on

Customer Question

We have a Keeprite rooftop pgx448100 and fan won't come on at all. Tried setting fan to on on its own and fan on with cool mode on. During cool mode compressor fires up but then stops when unit detects than fan is not on. Is this faulty fan motor? How can I be sure?
Thanks.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.Our first step will be to check to see if we are getting power to the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi meter.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK now is it the condenser fan that blows air across outdoor coil or blower fan that blows air into house that does not come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower fan responsible for blowing said into the house.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK next remove the panel where blower is and tell me if it is a standard psc motor like this
http://i.imgur.com/JwBMhHB.png
or if the motor is an ECM with a bell. like this.
http://i.imgur.com/rkPZPas.png
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave to go work out in field so I will open to other experts while I am gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a GE ECM 2.3 motor.