Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Braeburn 2200 thermostat. The unit periodically

Customer Question

I have a Braeburn 2200 thermostat. The unit periodically turns off even though the display still shows a temperature which is lower than actual room temperature. when I turn off the thermostat and remove or replace batteries, the display comes back indicating the correct room temperature. the unit just stops working until I remove batteries and replace. is there a bigger issue here?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning at 6:30 AM the digital display on my Braeburn 2200 thermostats was stuck at 3:30 AM with a temperature of 71 degrees and the house was very warm. I was unable to turn the temperature as the keypad was locked. I turned the unit off and took the batteries out until the display was blank. I then replaced the batteries and turned the unit back on. The temperature jumped to 76 degrees and after adjusting the temperature using HOLD mode, the unit kicked in and cold air started blowing again. This same issue has happened 3 times in two weeks. Is a battery issue or is the thermostat going? I am using AA Duracell alkaline batteries.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your thermostat. Yes, it does indeed sound like the thermostat is going bad. There is usually little you can do about it once a "stat" starts to go bad. The good news is new thermostats are not that expensive. A new programmable one can usually be had for under $25.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.