Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Our air conditioner is not working. My husband said he heard

Customer Question

Our air conditioner is not working. My husband said he heard a bang. It sounds like it tries to start turning on but does not.. I threw the circuit breaker but still not working. Cannot get a tech for days so wondering any other suggestions to try ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here. Where did bang come from.Inside or outside and does inside or outside either one work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need yo ask my husband but I think the bang was inside. We do not have a voltage meter.
It says on it 60 amps bkr
I will see if my husband can get a meter if that is what is needed
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK first step is to determine if indoor or outdoor either one will come on. Next we will want to see if we are getting power to indoor and outdoor unit. Description of the band details may also be helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband will be home soon so I can write back then. I apologize for taking your time but I will discuss with him when he gets back. Thank you.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. The following will help me in guiding him.1.Model and brand on thermostat.Brand and model of air handler insides.Brand and model of outdoor unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do thank you !
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
We will go from there
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I am going off line so I will open this to other experts in case you come back and I am not here.