Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

My problem is that i have an older Lennox unit.

Customer Question

Hi Douglas. My problem is that i have an older Lennox unit. cp-30m-31-1p. I went away for ten days and forgot to do 30 days filter cleaning before I left. My 23 yo daughter was here and didn't bother to tell me that the unit went out a day after I left. Nor did she bother to turn it off. I just got home and it was 83 degrees upstairs. I pulled out filter and it was clogged with dust and very wet. Ran to Walmart and got new filter and replaced it. I can't tell if it's working again, as it's gone down to 82 degrees and doesn't seem to be going down further. Honeywell thermostat has solid snowflake symbol.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

With a plugged and wet filter, chances are your indoor coil iced up pretty good. You should turn the cooling off and put the thermostat fan switch in the ON position, run the system like that for a couple hours or more to thaw any ice buildup, then turn it back on. You should notice a dramatic improvement then. This is all based on the assumption that your outdoor unit is running fine though.

Please reply if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively (3 stars or better) before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian