Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

My air condition is not working. The furnace fan is blowing

Customer Question

My air condition is not working. The furnace fan is blowing the thermostat is on but the outside called nordyne is not running
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

The most common reason for this is your furnace's a-coil condensate drain line has a plugged drain switch it and the drain line is clogged. The switch is a low voltage two wire device usually installed in a tee where the drain makes a turn down but could also be right near the drain connection to the coil. They can normally be pulled right out and the float should be checked for proper operation. The drain line should be cleared out with a wet vac or compressed air. That is the most common cause. There are many others too though. Let's start with that and go from there.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where to start really I'm not a handy man but and don't know anything I'm looking at the switch outside its black and says ON OFF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any tools I need it's really warm in our house right now and can't get hold of anybody coz its already late when we got home

No problem, I understand. The device I was talking about is inside at the your furnace in the drain line from the a-coil. But checking the power to the outdoor unit is important too. That was the next step. Your disconnect looks fine (the device in the picture you sent). You should check the breaker box too for a breaker labeled AC UNIT.

I will keep that in mind with my responses. The only tool you might need if the drain is clogged is a wet vacuum or Shop Vac as they're so often called, to clear the drain if that's the problem. So, check your main panel for a tripped breaker and check the drain line at your furnace for a small two wire device stuck into a fitting in the drain line. We'll go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to unscrew and open the furnace to see the coil right?pls bear with me I'm trying to figure this out

No, worries. No, you shouldn't have to open the furnace. The drain switch will be on the outside of it. Let me see if I can find a pictorial example...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is connecting to the furnace
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is also connected to furnace
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is also connected

If you have a drain switch, it could look like THIS, or like THIS

Click Here for your picture with your drain location. If you have a switch it will be in that line.

Click Here for another instruction that may help. The pump I am talking about will look the one in THIS PICTURE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you images of what I have can you check on them?

Sorry, THIS PICTURE is of a typical condensate pump on a furnace. If it quits working it will stop your unit from working.

Yes, I got your pictures and sent a couple of them back with annotations.

Click on the blue highlighted words in my responses please.

Sorry again, my link isn't getting embedded right. CLICK HERE for a picture of a typical furnace with a condensate pump attached.

Wow, I will just put the link in this message, sorry for all the trouble!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0jvamaom78xfxn/Furnace%20With%20Condensate%20Pump.jpg?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will just contact a technician tomorrow it's getting late and really don't know what I'm doing thanks for your time

You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't help get you cooling tonight and for most likely thoroughly confusing you with all my links. That condensate pump in the last link I sent is a very common culprit of systems like yours not cooling. Checking that unit and your breakers is really about all you can do without tools.

Best of luck and best regards.

Brian