airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I just ran across a twinned system (two 4 ton a/c) (two

Customer Question

I just ran across a twinned system (two 4 ton a/c) (two furnaces with 5 ton drives psc) where the original installer crossed the liquid lines. The homeowner said the system has been in for 7 years and has had no cooling problems. What is the long term prognosis?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.I actually ran into this on a condo at the Gulf, where there are several condensers on roof, here a few years back.They had been like that for years.
The lines should be corrected so we will get true pressure readings and prevent any damage to the units. As long as there are no issues with the system, the outdoor units do not realize they are crossed as the refrigerant is being metered at an indoor coil and returned to the units.
If there is ever a problem like a failing metering device we will have issues with both units.Also if one of the units had to be replaced with a new R410A unit, we could lose both compressors and contaminate both systems.