Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Amana PTAC unit water drips inside on floor, when cover is

Customer Question

Amana PTAC unit water drips inside on floor, when cover is removed, pan is full of water, but when outside cover is removed, no water in outside portion of pan. How to get condensate to drip outside?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jason Whatley replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out! Do you have the model number of the unit? This sounds like the condensate line is blocked and needs to be cleared. In order to direct you to the location of the drain I will need to pull up the specs on your specific unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have that info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unit appears to be sealed, thus seperating the inside part from the outside part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outside pan is bone dry, while inside pan has 2 inches of water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there also appears to be 'hump' between the inside portion of the pan and the outside portion

If you can vac out the water, you should be able to locate the drain hole that will let the water travel through the sealed chassis to the outer pan. If there is a hump, or the unit is not level, the water may not be unable to drain out properly.

Is the unit in a location where it can be removed from the wall to inspect the condition of the chassis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as for removing the water, already did that once, could not see any access from one side to the other, the hump in the pan appears to be the manufacturers design

Have you confirmed the unit is level or slightly tipped away from the front of the unit? Occasionally these units will tip forward and prohibit the proper drainage of condensate water