airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a 1990 Goodman Janitrol model Ck49 Gaspack HVAC. the

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Goodman Janitrol model Ck49 Gaspack HVAC. the drain hose from the evaporator coil is broken at the coil. Can I use an extractor tool and remove the piece that broken of in pipe. The repair person said the coil had to be replace with new drain pan to the tune of $1850.95 this includes parts and labor. He also suggested to replace the entire unit including the condenser for $4456.80 the unit works very well with the exception of the broken drain line there is some risk removing the broke piece of pipe What do you suggest?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.It is unlikely that repairing the drain will be successful.
The prices for both recommendations are very fair.If you can afford to do so, I recommend replacing the unit.I would not stick 1850 in a unit this old as it is likely going to fail within next few years. Life expectancy of these units was about 15 years.Not only will you get warranties but you will save money on utilities as the new units are much more efficient .