Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Have a goodman heat pump the thermostat kicks off outdoor

Customer Question

have a goodman heat pump the thermostat kicks off outdoor unit keeps running only shuts off with breaker started out turn cool on 70 was 75 in house thermostat turned on outdoor unit had light buzz hit control oanel would turn on spin now it stays on could it be a bad contact
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like said worked good till today noticed was on 70 was 75 in house thermostat said cool on wasn't blowing cold went outside unit fan wasn't running back where lines come in I lightly hit the box above lines where light buzz was coming from sounded like contacts stuck after hit it started spinning turned on went inside when temp got to 70 thermostate said cool shut off but now unit outside still running and will blow cold air in if I turn fan on on position have to turn breaker off to shut unit off outside flip breaker back on unit starts up again lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im a disabled 47 yr old vet on limited income would appreciate if could tell me what it is and how to change I have 10 yr warranty on compressor and parts installed 2011, I just don't have the extra money to pay a techniciam 80.00 hr to come fix it was gonna shut power off to unit and change myself after I get warranteed part from local dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a goodman model number is ssz160481 thank you
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I will have your answer in a moment

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
It is possible the relay is the problem.
It could also be the control board.
Replace the relay first it is the most probable problem
based on what you have already done.
If replacing the relay does not correct the problem
you will need to replace the control board.
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Machinc
.