HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My AC unit inside the house is making a strange sound like

Customer Question

My AC unit inside the house is making a strange sound like it is continuing to refrigerate even after it has reached the desired temp and the fan has turned off (was set to "auto").
Also, there was water inside the area where the inside air handler is located. I went outside and sucked out the drip tube and now it is dripping fine. There is no more water dripping in the house now either.
My main concern is that even when the unit is "off", the area where the inside AC unit is located is still making a noise and it is very cool in that area.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Is the fan still running on the outside unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Does it shut off if you turn the thermostat off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not turn off when I turn off the thermostat.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK you may have a bad thermostat or stuck relay on the unit outside causing the issue. I would disconnect the Red wire going to the thermostat and if it still runs then there is a stuck relay on the outside unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've pulled the breaker on both the inside and the outside unit but it still sounds like the inside unit condensor (?) Is still running. It is still making a noise even with both the inside unit turned off and the outside unit off (because I pulled the breaker). I know I probably can't fix it this evening anymore because it is late, but I just want to shut the unit off so I can get someone to look anymore it tomorrow. What else can I do to turn it off?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

If you shut the breaker off to the AC and furnace nothing can run on it.