Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

My kids 2 rooms are closest to the a/c unit, thus those

Customer Question

My kids 2 rooms are closest to the a/c unit, thus those rooms get a lot of air and make their rooms super cool...my master bedroom is further away and doesn't get all of the cold air I would like..would best fix be close off a part of kids ducting..
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've heard before it is bad idea to close vents...
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your AC. It is true, it's a bad idea to close off TOO MANY VENTS. However, always close your basement vents in the summer as the cold air will migrate down there anyways. And the rooms that are getting good airflow, you can close off SOME. Forcing more air to the rooms that need it. Make sure your furnace filter is clean, and don't use the high efficiency furnace filters in the summer as they restrict airflow too much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One story house...unit is in garage...two rooms closest are the kids...then it's kitchen then master bedroom where I want more air
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you recommend to close off half of the vent?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the update on your system. Rule still applies. You can close off the vents SOME in rooms that have the best airflow. Most registers are adjustable.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Do not totally close off vents as you will cut down airflow too much and possibly cause coil to ice up.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have more questions on this.