Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My furnace uses a very basic Honeywell R8184G 1427 primary

Customer Question

My furnace uses a very basic Honeywell R8184G 1427 primary control to connect to my thermostat, which is a basic Honeywell "round stat". Only two wires are used for the connection. A third wire has actually been run from the control to the thermostat, but it's been tied off at both ends and is not in use. I'd like to install a 2gig Technologies CT100 thermostat to replace the Honeywell thermostat; the CT100 will run on AA batteries but I'd prefer it to run off household current using the tied-off wire as the C or common wire. I realize I can use a plug-in power supply to power the CT100, but I was wondering if I could connect the tied-off wire to one of the F terminals on the Honeywell primary control to supply power to the CT 100 thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but you can't. The F terminals are for the cad cell (electric eye) which proves burner ignition.