Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I just purchased a Honeywell programmable thermostat to

Customer Question

I just purchased a Honeywell programmable thermostat to replace a very old mercury based themostat. I wired the system according to the instructions but the heat came on not the air conditioner. I had to re-install the old thermostat to make it work correctly. Can you help me with the wiring instructions?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Could you upload a picture of your old thermostat and wiring? What kind of system do you have? Heat pump? Or conventional split AC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at home currently to take the picture but it's the old traditional gold and black thermostat. It has a mercury bubble to control the temperature. It's a split unit with a gas powered heat pump and an electrical air conditioner.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, if you want to upload later when you get home, that's fine.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

It'd be helpful to see a picture of the old thermostat wiring so it gives me a better idea of what we're dealing with here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old thermostat had a wire that was not needed in the new thermostat. The instructions said to put electrical tape around the end.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
I have a dinner party tonight. I will contact you tomorrow.Thanks
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you a picture of the thermostat and wiring. Did you not receive it?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I did not. Please save to your PC, and upload to the site here using the small paperclip icon at the top of the answer box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
It currently has a Heil thermostat. I have a Honeywell replacement. Can you help me understand the wiring requirements?Thanks
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I would prefer a picture of the thermostat with front part taken off and showing the wiring. Also, picture is kind of dark. Could you put more light in the room?