Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I live in south central Wisconsin and have a 30 year old oil

Customer Question

I live in south central Wisconsin and have a 30 year old oil furnace I need to replace (A/C needs to be replaced also). I am concerned about whether or not to convert to propane - concerned about cost to convert, safety and ultimate savings over time. I am also concerned about which oil furnace brand would be the best and most reasonable. Thank you for your time. Jim
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There is no fuel cost benefit to propane. Propane typically tracks the price of oil and (at least around here in NH) has a comparable price per gallon. You should also be aware that propane has ~92k btu per gallon of latent heat while oil has 143K. So even if the propane furnace is 10% more efficient that doesn't make up for the heat content difference.
As far as furnace brands go; you're better off to primarily consider the quality/reputation of the installer than to focus on brand. A good installer will use a good product and will be there when you need service.