Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a trane ac. Digital thermostat was off. I thought

Customer Question

I have a trane ac. Digital thermostat was off. I thought maybe it had been tripped, so turned all the breakers on and off. It didn't work. So I turned the main switch to the inside unit off and on again. The thermostat came back on, but now it's still not coming on. It says it's 80 degrees in here and the temp is set at 72. It says wait under the set temp. The ac tries to come on inside and outside but ultimately it shuts off again.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Trane XV80. There is water in the safe-T-switch, so I checked the drain outside. There is white stuff coming out of the drain outside?!? Looks like wet insulation....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got as much of the white stuff out of the drain as possible and water really started flowing out as opposed to the usual little trickle. AC still trying to come on, but still shutting down.
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

Drain is plugged. If you can take a shop-vac and vacuum out drain line from outside that is the best way to clear lines. Remove water from safety switch and retry unit. Russ