airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Advise on previously answered question in regards to code

Customer Question

Advise on previously answered question in regards ***** ***** 82, thermal lockout in high stage. Thanks.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Do you know if we are losing 230 volts to compressor prior to lockout?
The status 82 means the internal overload has opened three times. Usual causes for internal thermal cutout are a weak or bad capacitor or voltage issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. This "82" fault is at least three, (3) years old. It started this year at a very hot period when the outdoor temperature was 30 degrees Celsius. It now happens at 25 degrees as well. It does recover after the 4 hours lockout.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
For some reason your compressor is shutting down on internal overload. If it does this 3 consecutive cycles, it goes into a 4 hour lockout.I would start by checking the capacitor to make sure it has proper potential (Rating marked on side must be within 3 %.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the capacitor and how do I check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a software parameter that can be changed to overcome this issue?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK the capacitor is a cylindrical container with three terminals on top marked COM HERM and FAN.
You will turn off power, remove the wires from capacitor and check with a capacitance meter between COM and HERM terminals. There will be a rating marked on side like 40/5/370 uF or similar. We must be withing 3% of that rating between terminals.
Also we wnat to check to see if the unit has a hard start kit installed. Carrier puit them on some, not others.(Optional).
If you can upload a photo of components with panel removed I can tell if your unit has the optional start kit.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Capacitor looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/ZpTdqIR.jpg
Unfortunately there are no settings to correct this issue it is going to require us to troubleshoot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a capacitance meter. Is it possible it's a faulty compressor?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that compressor is tight causing the internal overload issue, but my first suspicion would be the capacitor or start kit failing to give the compressor the jolt it needs to start.I would want to check these before condemning compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no capacitor or other components in plain sight.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
When you remove service panel, components should be i plain site. Cap is in upper left corner. See below:
http://i.imgur.com/FjmP23L.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.