Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Lennox xc14 that the outside unit is not comjng on

Customer Question

I have a Lennox xc14 that the outside unit is not comjng on at all and is blowing hot air in the house. We had a repairman out yesterday who replaced the capacitor and then said our digital 7 day programmable thermostat was nor working so he couldn't get the system running. He wanted to charge me an additional $500 for a new thermostat on top of the $300 for the capacitor. The probleml with the thermostat has been that the touch pad where the temp setting is sometimes sticks and we can't chsnge the setting. When I got home it was set to 74 but the unit turned off. I turned the unit on cool thinking if the capacitor was the problem the system would run but it still only blows hot air and outside unit not comjng on. We had extra thermostat exactly like the one that came with the air and popped it in. Still outside unit not respinding. Repairman wanting to charge an additional $100 to come back out and on wait list. All bedrooms upstairs and temp is over 90 inside at night even with windows and fans running. We need help. What could it be?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.