Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I've got an emerald aire mini split. Trying to find out how

Customer Question

I've got an emerald aire mini split. Trying to find out how to get fan to cutoff with compressor instead of running constantly
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

The fan is designed to run constantly on those units, it prevents icing the coil, and allows even temperatures in the room... at least that is the intention of such a design.

----------

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my question was not "why does my evap fan run constantly". My question was " how do I make my fan cycle on and off with the compressor" you haven't answered my question. Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
These systems are not built nor intended to cycle the evaporator fan when in cooling mode regardless whether the outside unit is running or not running at the time.
As long as the system is in cooling mode the evaporator fan will run...the outside unit will cycle as needed but the evaporator fan will keep running.
The fan only goes off if you program the system to turn off or turn it off... then the fan will stop.
In order to make your fan cycle on and off on these models when in cooling mode, you must remove the printed circuit boards and re-engineer the electronics so that will happen... that of course is not recommended by the manufacturer, nor myself, and would be nearly impossible for even an electronics expert to do.
I will opt out so that other of our experts here might give you a more suitable answer.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, never mind another "engineer", I'll tie in a relay off of the compressor circuit to open the fan circuit when the compressor powers down. It won't ice up if the compressor isn't running. You office has already billed me, I'll just call it a learning experience. The last time I used your service was because my ice machine on my refrigerator wasn't making ice. I told him it was getting water but he told me to change the water filter? The problem was a kink/leak in the liquid line (freon I'm giving you five stars for your knowledge but no stars for not solving my problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please don't bother referring another tech, I'll jury rig it myself with a delayed off fan relay. I've tried to rate you 5 stars but it's not working. I tap the 5th star but it won't submit