Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Having problems with upstairs AC Unit. Trane outside unit

Customer Question

Having problems with upstairs AC Unit. Trane outside unit with Rheem horizonally mounted air handler in attic. Unit stopped cooling yesterday afternoon and I opened the cap on the condensation drain line and a fair amount of water drained out. Recapped
the line and removed the float switch so I could clean out the line with the flexible brush. Put it back together and started cooling. No problems through the evening. Today same issue but condensate seems to be flowing OK. Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.
Lets start by removing float switch and see if unit comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have multimeter and headed to attic. In checking the float switch operation last night unit seemed to continue to run regardless of whether or not the float was up or down
Does that make sense?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave so I am opening to other experts.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.