airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

We built a new home and they installed a Lennox MLDVT40NM gas

Customer Question

We built a new home and they installed a Lennox MLDVT40NM gas log fireplace. It continually has a soot buildup on the back of the glass, has to be cleaned after 3-4 lightings, and the installer said we will need to clean it by hand. We are in our late 70s and cannot lift up the glass, clean and get the MUSHROOM shaped black residue off and it continues to build up. It is only under warranty for three more weeks, we need HELP to find out what is wrong. We have been told either the vent or logs are improperly installed. Please give us advice. Thank you
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.If you are not getting results from the installing dealer to correct this issue I suggest taking this matter to your state board .Is the installer a licensed hvac contractor? And if so what state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohio
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Is the installer a licensed hvac contractor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not have that information unfortunately.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
You will need that information, You should be able to obtain it from your builder. Then you would contact the Ohio Construction INdustry to file a complaint.Often just letting the installing contractor know that you have contacted the state board will get their attention. We are all governed by state licensing commissions and are required to perform our installations properly and stand behind our performance standards. otherwise risk being decertified and lose our license.
Apart from this route, you may have some success by going to the Lennox dealer locator website and entering your zip code to find an authorized dealer near you who will step in while unit is still under warranty.