airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

One of my Ac ducts in the attic is filling with water. Noticed

Customer Question

One of my Ac ducts in the attic is filling with water. Noticed on the other end that it had come apart...installed new duct and thought the problem would be solved.....I was wrong.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Is this duct near the air handler or a branch run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's attached to the handler and that seems to be where the water is accumulating
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Can you attach a photo here? You may have a stopped up drain allowing the water to run over out of the pan and into the duct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One second. The files are adding slowly but water is not flowing over the pan.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Is anytyhing else wet in attic? I once had a water line under a flex duct that developed a pin hole and the water pressure was actually shooting into the duct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now the insulation is wet under where that duct attaches to the unit but that's all I am seeing.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK is there water actually in one of those flexible ducts or just in this overflow pan?
http://i.imgur.com/TW3F5Cl.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the duct itself. Last Thursday we had to disconnect it and run a hose downstairs. There was about 5 gallon buckets and 2 bathtubs of water. We went out of town for the weekend and Monday it had about 3 or 4 buckets of water again. Monday we put a new duct on and made sure both ends were sealed tight. This morning there is water in the new duct.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK there should be absolutely no water in that overflow pan in picture. It appears it has been filling up for some time as it shows signs of rust where waterline is. Your air handler is not draining properly.Can you point out which of the ducts is filling up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the duct directly coming out of the end of the handler. Should I blow air down that main drain line coming out? Maybe it's clogged.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
THat is my suspicion is the main drain is either stopped up or the pan inside of the air handler is cracked or rusted through. THis metal pan in photo is what is considered an overflow or auxiliary pan and should never have any water in it unless there is a problem with main drain. The main drain pan is inside the air handler from factory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so where to go from here?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Start by blowing out the main drain(coming from unit).I we still get water in duct and pan, open the air handler and lets examine the main pan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want me to take it loose from the hander itself?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
There should be a service panel with 4 screws on air handler that can be reoved to get inside.If there is not an access Tee in main drain, you nay be able to acccess it from inside to blow it out.If not you will have to cut it and reconnect with a coupling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can get to it from via the screws I'll get it done. Otherwise I will wait on my husband to cut it. I'm not quit comfortable with that.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Let me know what you find.