Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Are you a commercial tech up to 40 tons

Customer Question

are you a commercial tech up to 40 tons
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! Yes, I'm a commercial/industrial tech actually up to 1,000 tons. How can I help with your Carrier condensing unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How far can it be from the air handlers before it is consider to be to far away to work as designed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the compressor that is we have been told that it is to far away from the air handlers and that is why it keeps failing. In all there are 4 compressor but this one keeps going out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got to go to bed it's late here.
Hello again, I'm sorry I missed you earlier this morning. I'm usually online from noon til midnight EDT. I had logged off shortly before you posted back. The Carrier IOM for your unit recommends maximum piping length at 200 feet. This is total lineal feet and allows for an additional 50% equivalent length in fitting losses. The maximum lift is 69' (vertical difference between condenser and air handler). The lines should be increased from 5/8" liquid line and 1-5/8" suction line to 7/8" liquid line and 2-1/8" suction line if the length is more than 50'. If the length goes above 75', a field installed suction line accumulator is required to be installed at the compressor location. There are also single and double suction risers (inverted P-traps as tall as the cooling coil) required in long line runs depending on length and lift. There are additional requirements for piping, oil traps and risers on systems with unloaders installed. There are some differences in piping depending on whether the system is a constant volume or VAV system. There are differences in piping depending on whether the system is one or two circuits. All these factors play into the piping system. A properly intalled piping system is critical for oil return and compressor health. The bot***** *****ne is what Carrier is (and always has) trying to achieve is a pressure drop in the suction line equivalent to no more than 2* F. across the entire run of the suction line. If you can tell me what type of airflow system you have (vav or constant volume), what the refrigerant circuit arrangement is, what the total length of the lines are in lineal feet, whether the condenser is above or below the air handler and by how much, I can tell you what your piping system should look like. It is very possible the piping arrangement is responsible for your compressor failure. It plays a huge role in compressor/oil return health. It's also possible the lines are not related at all to the failures. At the very least, I can tell you if what you're being told holds water or not. Thanks,Brian