Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My unit froze up back in June due to water in the resoivor.

Customer Question

My unit froze up back in June due to water in the resoivor. The technician came and sucked it out with a shop vac and got it working again and told me if it happened again to turn the fan on and it would unthaw it. So it froze up again today and I have been running the fan. The outside unit tries to kick on but can't. I have no idea where the resoivor is to empty it. Anything else I can do now along with running the fan?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Adviser replied 1 year ago.
I'm curious if it was frozen up (ice on the coil) or if the drain was clogged? It sounds like the unit is freezing, but when you say that he used a shop vac...I'm going to assume that he's talking about ice build-up. In that case, if you're going to run your fan constantly to thaw it out, you first have to turn the A/C system off. I would recommend finding out why the indoor unit's freezing up. Small leaks of refrigerant or lack of air flow would be the most common reasons. Only a good technician onsite would be able to diagnose that. I hope that I cleared that up for you.