Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Trane 2GX Geothermal System, the High Pressure Status

Customer Question

I have a Trane 2GX Geothermal System, the High Pressure Status light is on and it is not cooling properly.
The unit has an electronic air cleaner, I have cleaned the filter unit, the third red led was not lit when I cleaned.
I currently have the power off to the whole system.
What can I do to reduce the pressure?
Thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,So far it seems most likely that there is air trapped in the ground source condenser loop inside the heat pump.... or that you have an open loop system with clogged strainers or mineral deposits in the heat exchanger. Tell me please if this is closed loop system or an open ground water system, a bit about the history of the installation and a lot about your own technical background and capabilities so that I will know how to approach coaching most effectively. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a closed loop system that was installed Dec. 2013. I am competent once I understand a system. I have done wiring, plumbing,building, mechanical for myself and to help others but not HVAC. I don't have a lot of test equipment.This status light came on after I had reinstalled the filter system and powered it back up.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
It will help a lot if you can make a pencil sketch of the add on filter system, showing the pump and direction of flow, and some specifications on the filter.... attach a photo of the filter system taken from about 10 feet away so that I can look for places that can trap air (inverted U shapes) please.
My initial guess is that the filter system is OK, but that in doing the work air got into the system and is a bubble stuck at the high point in the closed water loop, that would be inside the coiled heat exchanger in most cases.
A well installed system will have air bleed valves fit where the ground loop connects to the heat pump, look for those tell me what you find, it will if you can attach a photo of those connections taken from about 5 feet away along with the pencil sketch.
Use the 'attach files' link at the lower left of your reply box for that.
We can go from there.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The filter is not part of the water loop, it is the electronic air filter system that I cleaned, which I do on a regular basis. This filter has it's own power and is turned off so it can dissipate the energy before opening and taking the separate filters out.
The status led's are on the cabinet of the geothermal unit itself. Status lights include- "Drain"(condensate pan)- "Water Flow"( detects water freezing)- High Pressure"( High Refrigerant pressure)-"Low Pressure"(loss of refrigerant pressure) - "Airflow"( dirty filter)- "Status"(green blinking is normal)- "DHW Limit" (monitors temperature of water leaving unit)It is the High Pressure light that is on= high refrigerant pressure which can be caused by a loss of water flow in the cooling mode or low airflow in the heating mode caused by a dirty filter. I am in the cooling mode.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I am aware of what lack of water flow does to the system, when you said you had added a filter I assumed that it was a closed loop water filter not an electronic air filter. You have identified for yourself that there is a lack of water flow through the closed circuit in the heat pump in cooling mode, just as I have... we should verify that with a set of service gauges to rule out a defective pressure switch or transducer. I need a photo of the pipe connections to the heat pump so I can look for air vents that should have been installed in the closed circuit lines. If there are none, an air bleed valve should be installed on the outlet water line within two inches of the its connection to the unit unless there is an elbow where discharging down, in that case the air bleed needs to be in the elbow. (I have 51 years in the business, 27 man crew at the peak, sold in 1988 to take consulting contracts nationally, generally for larger systems though, for the US Dept of Energy, IBM, Texas Instruments and others... experience and that licensing verified by a third party retained by Just Answer and posted to the web site.) We can go from there.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Please hold your rating until we get the problem solved.