Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

After replacing the capacitor, I don't seem to have the air

Customer Question

After replacing the capacitor, I don't seem to have the air flow that I had originally. Could this be because I installed the wrong capacitor ? Also, I don't seem to have the cooling that I originally had. This problem presented itself last week when I
looked at the outside unit (Compressor ???) and the copper pipe and tank were frozen... so, I allowed the ice to thaw (both on the pipe and tank) thinking that this would be the solutiuon. I now suspect, and here is my question, that the freezing may have
affected the refrigerant... Is this likely and if so, what is the best way to check if the refrigerant needs to be replenished ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Helllo, The cooling coil is an *air coil, copper tubes and aluminum fins, it can develop a 2 inch thick sheet of ice that takes 5 to 6 hours to melt if you turn the outside unit off, and set the thermostat inside for system OFF, and Fan ON. Do that, let me know how it goes... we can discuss the causes next. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Phil:Yeah, I tried that....
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, the freezing will not affect the refrigerant.A wrong fan capacitor will slow the fan down and make the cooling coil more prone to icing. The 'tank' that iced the last time was the *compressor.. for that to happen the cooling coil that attaches to one end of the furnace or air handler in that case would have turned into a gigantic ball of solid ice weighing 40 pounds or more, that takes a long time to melt. Fan motor capacitor:Look for the uF rating on the old capacitor, the new one must have the same rating or very close to it.. tell me what each rating is. We can go from there.