BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am installing a Honeywell wifi thermostat to a unit with

Customer Question

Hi I am installing a Honeywell wifi thermostat to a unit with a heat pump. I'm not sure where the black wire goes.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
If black was not attached on old system just tape it off and disregard. If black would have been hooked up then we would research terminal...but if it was loose and not attached....leave it unhooked.
I am assuming you mean that you have a black wire that was not used in old thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. To be more clear. I have moved to a new house. The house is two stories and I'm not sure if it uses 2 stage cooling and heating. There was no thermostat here when I moved in so I'm hooked it up the same way as at my old house which did not have two stage heating and cooling.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
do you know where the air handler is and can you get to it?
Black is usually E for emergency electric heat on a heat pump system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the current wiring however my thermostat has been "waiting for equipment for 20 mins or so.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
ok, we need to open the air handler.
Blue can be C or it can be Y2
We need to open airhandler where the other end attaches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is right next to air handler.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
we need to open...and post a pic of the wiring in the air handler...we may have blown a fuse in the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can make the air handler turn on by switching the fan on. I cannot get the unit outside to switch on.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
thank you,
take the red wire and touch to the yellow wire....does the outdoor unit turn on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I was able to get the unit to kick on by updating the system settings. It was set to forced air when I have a heat pump system. Came on right away. Sorry. This was simply user error.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
great news....
if any issue just let me know
Billy