Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Circa 1983 Lennox blower Unit is leaking a lot of water.

Customer Question

My Circa 1983 Lennox blower Unit is leaking a lot of water. The Unit is not cooling when the tempewrature is above 85. Yeserday it was 101 degrees. The outdoor American Standard unit would shut off, even though the temperature in the house is 80. Do I have a freon leak? unfortunately I bought R-22 Unit 7 years ago also. Could I get the unit leak checked and charged and go for another year? Really broke after putting myself through school.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,So far it sounds like the cooling coil is iced and possibly the condensate drain is clogged. The condensated drain is 1 inch white plastic in most cases, locate that and remove the 18" square panel and look inside for an over flowing drain pan and possibly iced coil. Let me know what you find, we can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to work on this tomorrow. Have to drain my water hearwe to get to the side of the evaporator. HAve a shift at the Hspital from 7-7 tomorrow. Ill contact you Tuesday.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
That will work..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil,
Sorry It has taken so long to get back to you. I had a change in work schedule. My furnace/blowe/r evaporator coil unit is such that I cantghet to it by removing a side panel. I had my freon level checked this AM, and it is supposed ly 10 pounds low on R-22. Full capacity is 13 pounds. The Unit was installed in Julyt of 2006. I noticed increasing electric bilsl the last few years. Do I have a leak, or is it normal to lose this much R-22 over 9 years?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, You were not 10 pounds low on refrigerant, if you were the system would not have been cooling at all, maybe 10% at the most... the system could have been 2 or 3 pounds low, Look on the outside units name plate for the amount of refrigerant it holds, add 1 pound for the refrigerant lines. If it is a little low on refrigerant, that will most likely be a very slow leak, hard to fine, a leak stop treatment can be used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YILpvTGwY The higher utility bills would have been because you were not cleaning the condenser often enough most likely.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtT6hSpV4s Look all that over, let me know what you think.Congratulations on putting yourself through school... did you get an engineering degree by chance? Thats what I ended up with. ........We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phil, I think you are absolutely right about the freon. I also believe that my freon is now 10 pounds low as the system does not cool at all now. The service guys had their gauges hooked up and then I went into to the house to turn my A/C on. I can't prove it, but I believe some freon disappeared between the time I left and the time I got back into the house. They wanted $1147.00 for 10 lbs of freon, and I just could not do it. I found 10lb cans of freon on Amazon for $199.00 + shipping. A freind of mine has a brother in law who may have an A/C license. If so, I will let him buy it and put it in. I can't do business with this company any more. They also wanted $3600.00 to install a bottom of the line American Standard furnace, blower and coil, .for 1900 Sq feet single story house, and I suppose freon to go with it in my R-22 unit that holds 13 lbs. OUCH!
Thanks for your help Phil, and I am ready to setlle up.
I got a RN, but quite a few years ago, I got a degree in Petroleum Engineering, but never could get back in with only a year and a half of experience and being out of the industry many years.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
There is a replacement for R22 now, called R22a... it sells for about $14 a pound. (its propane with a little butane in it, and now legal in the US).
I will put the ratings box up now. You are welcome to stay in touch as needed after rating my work.
Thanks!
.