Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

RTAA-70 LOCKS OUT ON LOW EWT

Customer Question

RTAA-70 LOCKS OUT ON LOW EWT
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello. http://www.trane.com/commercial/uploads/pdf/1060/rtaa-svx01a-en_09012005.pdfTell me please if that looks like the manual or not. I need to know what the Entering Water Temperature is, and what the Leaving Water Temperature is... use an infra red thermometer to double check those readings... and attach a photo of the area using the paper clip icon above,We can go from there. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only want to know how to adjust the lock out temp. It only happens once in a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the manual and the pass words
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure its in the manual but I just have not found it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct manual
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
** Adjusting the chilled water temperature can end in complete disaster if the sensor are defective or the water flow is insufficient.**
The tubes can freeze and break, allowing the water and refrigerant to mix.
Aside from the cost of shutting down the chillers cooling function and loss of that productivity, the cost of repairs can go well into the tens of thousands of dollars.
You do not want to be the man holding the bag if that happens... to do this properly you need all the data I asked for earlier. This tricky, and **risky business.
Trane recommends that only a factory trained Trane technician work on those systems for that reason.
However if you can give me the temperature readings I ask for then after that check the thermistors so that we can determine if they are reading accurately or not, I might be able to coach you to adjust the water temperature.
Regarding the EWT...that can be low, not because of any actual chiller settings but because the chilled water mixing and diverting valves at the air handlers or process cooling heat exchangers are not working properly.
I can opt out if you like, or you can continue with me... this however is something that only a Trane chiller specialist should be putting his hands on.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opt out, Thanks
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I see that none of our other experts here have picked your question up.
If you want to discuss a range of solutions let me know. I would need to know if the compressor on the chiller is unloading fully or not, and if it is, we can consider various was of adding a synthetic load to the system to prevent short cycling.
.