Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Lennox a/c heater furnace. Model C16-31-1FF, poss mfg'd 2/90. It started

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Lennox a/c heater furnace. Model C16-31-1FF, poss mfg'd 2/90. It started leaking water onto the floor. I'm fairly DIY handy, but have never worked on these. Assuming it was a problem with the drain pipe or pan, yet, unable to figure out how to GET to the drain pan, I figured I'd start by trying to detach the pvc drain pipe from the front of the unit, dumb move, maybe. However, I may have gotten closer to discovering the problem. As I tried to loosen the connection between the drain pipe and the unit, I noticed that the entire PVC pipe began to turn (not good, I know). But, I also noticed water beginning to drip out of where the connection is. This proved to be a good thing only in that it stopped the water from leaking onto the floor. I rigged up a temporary homemade solution to 'reroute' the dripping water into a bucket.
Continued...
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.It sounds like your condensate drain setup was plugged (very common). This should be taken apart and rinsed/blown out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow! I. Can you tell me where this is located and, more importantly, how I get to it? I'm wondering if it's on the other side of the panel where the pvc drain pipe is connected (the drip). There are 5 small nuts securing 2 small panels. But, I didn't remove the nuts yet because there are 2 other pipes going into the panels, both insulated and one is copper. I'd bet a hundred bucks that's where this infamous pan is....
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I got called out on a quick service call. Yes, that picture indicates the condensate drain pipe and this should be rinsed/blown out.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
In that picture, you provide, it also looks like ice. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, sir, I believe the part that looks like ice, is actually, lol, an empty gallon milk container that I cut in half to help catch the dripping water from the PVC pipe connection into a bucket.You mentioned that the condensate drain setup is possibly plugged, I guess that means clogged. And that it should be taken apart, blown and rinsed out. Can you tell me how do I get to this condensate drain setup in order to do that?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
You may have to cut the PVC close to the coil in a straight section and then clean/ rinse out both directions, then cement back together with a PVC coupling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you're thinking that rather than trying to gain access to the inside of the unit, where the pan may be, I should cut the pvc pipe on a straight section and blow out both ends and reseal the pvc?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, although I'd cut it closer to the coil because that is usually where it plugs up.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know. Otherwise,good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.