Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I would like to hire someone what can layout a hot water

Customer Question

I would like to hire someone who can layout a hot water radiant heat in an existing house with a unfinished basement that currently has baseboard heat. The first floor is 1800 sq/ft and the second floor is 650 sq/ft. The basement is not heated and the
second floor should, in my opinion, stay with baseboard heat. The 245,000 BTU (input) , 80% furnace is the original furnace in my 45 year old house that I hand built. I have the framing plans in digital format for the house, including the first floor floor
joists.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Please do not rate.
I am forwarding to someone else who may be able to assist.
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** your effort.
Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Billy,
Any chance that you can still find someone who can help me?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I can help but only under limited conditions.If you need full and complete drawing showing each part and its model number, and all of the pipe in detail with elevations, flawlessly, that will take me at least 10 hours, more like 15 hours. and I cannot do that from here for the amount offered. If you want a 3D design concept drawing, that a reasonably competent person can follow to get your job done, and you agree, I will submit a $500 additional service offer that you can accept, and we can go from there. I would be coaching all of the minute' details, if you required it, that would burn off all the time. http://screencast.com/t/iDk4fFEI Let me know what you think, we can go from there.Please do not rate this note from me, so far you do not have an answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil,
One other question: I currently run my furnace at about 210-220 degrees F when it is could, to get the house comfortable at 72 degrees F . Are you also going to be able to address the size of the furnace?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you should get all you need from me, except my drawings will not show every sheet metal screw and pipe fitting, just an accurate and workable conceptual drawing something like my air conditioning duct work example. For now, tell me the BTU rating on the furnace, its brand and model number and what region of the country you are in (nearest city or town so that I can assess the weather) tell me if this is a new well insulated and tight house, or an older house with air leaks and very little insulation. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two more questions: I assume that we will be using a new and more efficient hot water furnace and will be using pex or similar under the plywood sub floor between the floor joists. Is this correct? I also assume that we can keep the baseboard heat on the second floor and that we can zone the system with zone valves as we current do?PeterPeter
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Peter,
Zoning is an integral part of any good design... that is included of course. I will include several options for zone controls including wiring diagrams and wireless approaches.
I will recommend several hot water boilers (furnaces) based on the size and construction of the house and local weather conditions.
PEX tube rated for hot water will be used, it has become the standard of the industry.
You can keep the base board heat that is currently installed.
There are several ways to heat the floors, under the plywood sub floor and between the floor joists is a common approach.. there are also other options.
We can get moving on this as soon as you accept the additional services offer.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question before making my decision on accepting: Most of my house is carpeted - except the kitchen and bathrooms and an office. How will this affect the radiant heating?Peter
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Peter, all that will be part of the calculations involved in the system and controls design. It can get complex. There is no short answer prior to doing the calculations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phil, Thanks for all of your answers. What I really want to know is if I have to rip out the carpeting to make this work.
Thanks,
Peter
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Its not necessary to remove the carpeting.
If you choose not to accept my design offer please rate my service so far positively
-------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.
If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.
.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
See the 'private contact box below'. it has my private email address.