BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Brivis climate control which is connected to a buffalo unit I think. Bought a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Brivis climate control which is connected to a buffalo unit I think. Bought a Honeywell RTH221B to replace it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Hello, which wires do you need help with? Use reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached photos. There are 4 wires coming from the unit (wombat or buffalo), black & white - blue & grey. I have been up to the unit there are only 2 connections as the wires are joined together so act as only 2 wires only. I have connected them to the "W" & "RH" as I have read from a forum online. (Connect one of your wires to terminal W and the other wire to terminal Rh. You may leave the jumper to Rc or remove it. ) I did all this and connected the controller to the mounting plate, switch the switch to heating and pressed the hold button. The controller reads "hold" and "heat on" as if it is working but the unit does not come on. On the forums I have read, they have done what is about and their units work. Not sure why mine doesn't. I have connected the Brivis controller again and the unit switches on. No problems. Reason for upgrade is the Brivis dial does not work properly. Cheers Dave
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
ok, are the 2 aaa batteries fresh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, the display is working fine on the thermostat
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
when you touch the 2 pairs together does the unit start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried that but would say it would as it starts with the Brivis Thermostat.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Thank you....the following is based on "if" IF...the one pair is on W and the other on Rthe batteries are fineit starts when wires are shorted together.....but does not start with thermostat = Bad thermostat, regardless if old or new...it is just a simple connection of R to W...and if that fails thermostat/batteries are defective