Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Had power outage this morning, when I got home power was on

Customer Question

Had power outage this morning, when I got home power was on but house very hot. Flipped the breaker off and than back on at the breaker box. The ac seemed fine, fan running good no problems for a couple minutes and than the fan shuts off and it makes a high hissing sound that ends after a couple minutes but the fan never runs again. If I turn breaker off and on agAin the same thing happens again.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! The most likely cause for this is the fan motor capacitor has failed. This is a pretty common occurrence with a power failure since sometimes the voltage spikes when the power first fails or is restored. I would replace the fan motor (or dual run compressor/fan motor capacitor) and see if that corrects the problem. They're cheap and easy to replace. Just make sure after turning power off you short the capacitor terminals to the unit casing to discharge it before touching the wiring! If you give me the make and model number of the unit I can help you source a capacitor. If you have further questions, please reply. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively before you leave! Thanks,Brian