Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Carrier model 38BRB036300. It will not start. I

Customer Question

I have a Carrier model 38BRB036300. It will not start. I have an older model honeywell electron thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your AC. This can be frustrating. When you call for cooling, does the indoor blower come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The indoor blower comes on. The outdoor fan and compressor don't come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the air filter and cleaned everything off the unit outside. I have also turned off the breaker and reset it. I pulled out the switch in the box by the unit and replaced it. I have replaced the batteries in the thermstat.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the breaker for the unit? Also, most disconnects have fuses. Check and see if these are blown, please.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
If the fuses are OK, we can try bypassing the thermostat to see if that is the issue. To do that, turn power off to the furnace (or air handler), take the thermostat off the wall (exposing the back part and wiring) and take the red wire off R terminal,, the yellow or blue wire off the Y terminal, and the green wire off the G terminal and tist the ends of these three together, then turn power back on. See if the AC comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The indoor fan comes on but not the outdoor fan or compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier when I had the thermo stat off the switch on the contactor was open. If I manually closed it I ould get a humming sound and if I assisted the fan it would start ad run but not the compressor.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
On the outdoor condenser, locate and visually inspect the capacitor. See if the top is bulging or it appears malformed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already checked for that. I had an issue about 3 years ago and the capacitor was replaced then. I doesn't seem to be bulging or misformed.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
What you are describing, though, sounds very much like a bad capacitor. Carrier units are notorious for blowing run caps.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
I've put more new dual run caps on Carrier units then any other manufacturer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree. I am not sure if I can find a capacitor at this time of night. could it also be the contactor coil?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Is it pulled in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is in.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
On a contactor, there are 2 sides, the line side (L1 and L2) and the load side (T1 and T2). If you have a voltmeter you can set to volts AC and check across both sides. You should have 240 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to a meeting. I will contact you later. I will be gone until 9:00 central. If you are not there I will send a response and look for it in the morning. What can I do to check the capacitor?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Many multimeters have capacitance checkers. The cap must be off the unit to check, so if you do check, carefulloy mark the wires and where they go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,I think it is the capacitor or maybe the fan motor. When the cooling load is on, the commpressor seems to be starting and the fan on the unit outside will start and run after I give it a push with a screw driver. So I am getting cool air coming out for a few minutes until the cycle shuts down.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the cap. I'd try that first as it's a lot cheaper.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you still need assistance with this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.