Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The high stage contacter on my Carrier HNA25A HEAT PUMP stays

Customer Question

The high stage contacter on my Carrier HNA25A HEAT PUMP stays open during startup after being off for more than 12 HRS. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Are you using a communicating like the INfinity or no communicating thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Infinity
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Are yoou getting a malfunction error on the INfinity and if so what is the error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
87 High CONTACTOR Open
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
All I can find in my manual is that either we are not getting voltage to the high stage contactor or the contactor is stuck open
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Are you anble to check for power to the high stage contactor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The CONTACTOR solenoid gets a 26.2 V signal for 2 or 3 seconds and then goes to 0 V. The Infinity shows High Stage active but don't believe compressor is running...no cooling is being generated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The high CONTACTOR input voltage is 125V relatve to ground and the other end measures 125V relative to ground. I measured 250 V between top and input terminals.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like contactor may be ok, but for some reason the Infinity is not giving us the 24 to 26 volts. Is this still under warranty > If so we might be best to get the contractor involved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's out of warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it likely to be the circuit board?. I have checked everything else...capacitors, replaced the connectors, and the high and low pressure switches. It has been running on the low cooling stage only since the weekendbut I turned the system off yesterday and didn' hnos it would start in high stage.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
It may be circuit board or the interface itself,THey can be a bit difficult troubleshooting you you do not work with them every day.I feel from here if you want to continue with troubleshooting without in calling in a Carrier tech, I would be doing you more justice to opt out and see if another expert maybe a little more familiar with the Infinity might know some things for you to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
PLease stand by until we see if another experts has ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok